Lonely Man of Cake

An Irreverent Look at Religion, Food, and Everything in Between

Friday, January 26, 2007

Port of Call


This Shabbat, I will be sharing a meal with friends and relatives. As is my custom, I have selected a unique bottle of wine as both gift to the hosts and complement to the meal.
There seems to be an aversion in the wine drinking community to sweet red wines. The only acceptable sweet wines are invariably white (i.e., Muscat, Gewürztraminer) and may be imbibed only with dessert. However, there do exist sweet red wines (not Manischewitz!) for the discriminating connoisseur's palate. One such wine is "Port." The bottle we will be drinking, from the Psagot winery, is pictured.

After Shabbat, we will discuss the fascinating history of the wine and its drinking etiquette, and I will post my tasting notes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

wish i could be there...have fun!! :)

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home